Wednesday, March 14, 2018

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Alanis Morissette - Under Rug Swept)


The first Alanis Morissette album I ever bought was So-Called Chaos and I liked it pretty much but it took me a little effort to get introduced to her musical universe at the beginning. It wasn’t until I bought this one, Under Rug Swept, that she caught my attention as a reference so that I could realize what an amazing songwriter and talented singer she is. I love her melodies and her voice very much but what I admire the most about her is her capacity to create easy-to-relate lyrics without needing to use typical metaphors or poetic words. There’s some science in her lyrics and I really like that. I like how words such as consciousness, orgasm, or democracy can fit in her structures and sound beautiful still. Another important factor that makes her songwriting so special is that she is very honest and sensitive and you can feel the strong emotions behind her songs in her voice and lyrics. At the same time, she is very self-deprecating and down to earth so everything in her works ends up being very coherent as a whole. Most people say that Jagged Little Pill is her best album and I can understand why. That album was like a fresh explosion of rage and it had a great impact in the 90s but with all due respect, I prefer her most pop-rocker side with albums like Flavors Of Entanglement or this one, which I’d claim is my favorite of her. From the introductory song, 21 things I want in a lover, a list of preferences about relationships with a very explosive rocker and catchy melody, until the last one, Utopia, a ballad in which her voice sounds beautiful and sweet. If you like elegant feminine pop-rock music with strong and deep messages in the lyrics, you will absolutely love this album!




Favorite songs: 21 things I want in a lover, Hands Clean, Unsexy, A man, You owe me nothing in return, and Utopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...