Wednesday, March 14, 2018

THE DIFFERENCE



SONGWRITING

When I started to make music and produce my songs, I just had this feeling that people were lying to me because I uploaded a lot of demos on Facebook and Youtube but nobody liked or commented on them and when I asked some of those people personally about the songs, it was like something uncomfortable that they didn’t want to deal with. I always thought it was because the voice sounded out of tune or maybe because they simply did not like it but there was still something weird about the whole situation. Sometimes it even seemed as if they were afraid. Even if they didn’t like the music, the voice, or whatever, I could not understand why they were not sincere about it and express their opinion, since they knew I would not have gotten offended if things were said in a respectful way. That’s how I started to develop the idea behind this song: The Difference.

The song was originally written with the intention of expressing this demand for honesty, screaming out loud to the world that I was not willing to stand for any of those people wanting to shut my mouth and that I was not going to keep any kind of envy or selfishness from fighting for my dreams. But the real meaning of the song goes further…

The Difference is about this lack of coherence we are all inevitably going to experience in life. The impossibility of wearing someone else’s shoes, the unbreakable duality of existence. We decode the mystery of the universe, the meaning of it doesn’t make sense anymore. We prove the existence of God, God stops existing. The more we know the truth, the more it turns against us. A song against labeling people being a label in itself.



I started writing the bridge and both lyrics and melody came at the same time. Then I added the verse, which was a little different lyrically in the beginning, and finally, I added the chorus, which melody came from a song I wrote when I was 15. I’d say that it’s not one of my best compositions but I like the fact that it ends up being pretty effective with all its simplicity. Less is more, as they say.

PRODUCTION


Once again, I recorded the song twice. The lyrics are a little dark but the melody of the song is very happy and catchy, so we raised the tone of the song so that the voice would sound brighter. I really like the final result and I would say that it’s one of my favorite songs vocally speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...