Tuesday, March 20, 2018

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Belén Arjona - O Te Mueves O Caducas)



In the beginning, the Spanish singer Belén Arjona was unfairly compared to Avril Lavigne because she used to wear similar clothes as Avril’s and make a supposedly reminiscent music style too, so it was said that Belén was like some kind of copycat wannabe. I think that both are great and unique in their own style, though. Belén Arjona released another two great solo albums after that and then took part in different bands as the main vocalist and songwriter as well. I’m not really aware of what she’s doing right now but I think that she’s still involved in music and I hope that she keeps going that way because she’s amazingly talented. However, I still believe that her best works were her first two albums, Infinito, which was the second one that she released, and this other one I’m going to write about. The first Belén Arjona album titled O Te Mueves O Caducas, which could be literally translated as something like “If you don’t move, you’ll expire”, was one of my favorites that I would usually listen to for my teenage years and it is still, in my opinion, one of the best feminine pop-rock albums ever made in Spain. What I really love about this album, aside from the great vocals and rocker guitars, is the messages of the lyrics and the abundance of the social criticism in them. From the introductory track, Sangre En La Nevera (Blood In The Fridge), Alanis Morissette’s You Oughta Know a la Spanish, passing through the LGBT rights vindictive’s Somos Diferentes (We’re Different), or Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes), against domestic violence, until the last song, El Show De Terrorvisión (Horrorvision’s Show), a critique of trash TV. There are also powerful ballads such as La Distancia Siempre Es Una Maldición (Distance Is Always A Curse) or the emblematic Si No Estás (If You’re Not Here), with little gothic touches and beautiful piano. There’s even room for philosophical messages with songs like La Diosa Del Abismo (Goddess Of Abyss) or Solo Sé Que No Sé (I Know That I Know Nothing), referencing the famous Socrates quote. Each and every track is just amazing. To summarize, a must for any feminine pop-rock music lover. 


Favorite songs: Sangre En La Nevera, Somos Diferentes, Si No Estás, Loca, La Diosa Del Abismo and La Distancia Siempre Es Una Maldición.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...