Monday, March 19, 2018

FAITH IN CHAOS

I emerge from the dark
Like a child into the wild
Taking consciousness inside
Dignity is on demand

When everything seems just a lie
And you get lost into the night
When life becomes an uphill climb
That’s right when you have to try          
                                                                                                                                                                          MIMIC, Faith In Chaos

Songwriting

When I had this blurry idea of making an album all written and performed by myself, I had already written down some of the songs or concepts such as titles, melodies, and lyrics, but it wasn’t until I started to write this song that the whole purpose began to take shape. Everything began with those first two verses, which I randomly decided would be part of a song titled Faith In Chaos, giving the album the main title too. This title, which is a tribute to the movie Pi that was subtitled with the very same words, was the first and clearest thing about this musical project, not only because of the appeal these two opposite concepts provoked in me but because it described almost perfectly the current situation I was facing back then. I was taking consciousness of how important opening my mouth to sing was and how much I wanted to tell the world.

As I went advancing in the concept of the whole album, I thought of this song as a sum of the most important messages that are present in all of the other songs and that’s the direction I followed to develop the structure. There are references in the lyrics to the existentialism of The Quest!on or the self-determination of The Wall, for example. The rapid tempo of the melody almost obligated the lyrics to make a reference to what I first described as “the speed of life” and ended being “haste of life” in one of the lines, and that’s one of the main points of the song: this one-way ticket we take in life as a countdown, without any possibility of turning back.

I’d say, though, that the most important message of this song has something to do with the duality between heart and mind that every human being in this world has to deal with. I’ve always thought that love is overrated and we have the easy proof of that checking the type of songs that do well in the charts, rather romantic than vindictive. That’s why I wanted this album to be the opposite thing to that. However, what I really want to express with this song is kinda contrary to my beliefs. I think that love may not be the most important thing in life or, at least, not the only important thing, but it is still very necessary nowadays. We listen to those songs and brag about how beautiful love and relationships are but we don’t follow our hearts in real life. We just make-believe we do when we are actually analyzing anyone around us all the time, guided by selfishness not to get supposedly hurt. We are afraid of true love and that’s what I wanted to report with this song. I think we should feel more and think less in order to fight the chaos and contradictions we are facing in this mad world.

Production


This is the last song that has been recorded for this album and is the last one on the tracklist as well. I’m very proud of the song as a songwriter and I love the instrumental very much, but I do have to admit that I’m not so proud of the voice here. We recorded the song twice and the final result is better than the first one but I still think that it could have been much better. However, I believe that part of the enchants of music and life lies behind imperfection sometimes and I also get more satisfaction in learning and improving little by little than getting everything perfectly done immediately.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...