Monday, May 21, 2018

THE MAN FROM EARTH Tribute


While most of the movies I’ve written about on this blog had already been on my reference list of cult movies for a long time now, this one was a relatively recent discovery and, although I feel that I still have to watch it more times so that I can get deeper into its universe and messages, I’d say that The Man From Earth has already become one of my top fetish movies in that list. This is due to diverse factors, but the main one is probably the fact that, just like the movie Cube, it is a low-cost movie basically sustained on an excellent script, and when a script is good enough to supply most of the shortages of the rest of departments, this really deserves to be mentioned and taken into consideration. Cinematography, performances, edition, and direction are ok but, as I’ve just said, the script is so interesting that you finally get to forget about those other aspects that are not so bright. All of the strengths in the script are sustained by the characters and the way in which they interact between them. No great occurrences take place in the story, it’s all about the dialogues and how the power of words can change our minds and our perception. There’s also plenty of room for existential and philosophical messages, which, in this case, are literally expressed by the characters. So, if you like movies with a good idea as the principal root without needing different scenarios or catalyst actions, you’re gonna be capable of appreciating how interesting and original this movie is.


I wasn’t completely sure about using the frames of this movie for the song Here And Now because, just like I explained before, the enchantment of the movie resides in the script rather than the images, so I thought that maybe the final result would not cause such great impact as other tribute videos I’ve made, which looked already good without needing the people to watch the movie first to understand the point of it all. However, I think that the lyrics and messages of the song are directly related to the thesis of the movie and there’s even a reference to Jesus Christ that perfectly matches the movie so, in the end, I decided that there was no other better one to use for the Here And Now video tribute.



THESIS

This movie is definitely about the Carpe Diem concept and breaking the laws of time. The plot in itself, including a man who never dies, is self-evident proof of that. The movie also expresses this idea of how religions and the concept of God have been continuously misunderstood by humanity, leading us to prejudgements. In both cases, perception plays a primal role in how we decode what we have in front of our eyes and how we decide to interpret it later.


Thesis: Here and now is the only thing that exists. The rest is just an illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...