Monday, March 13, 2017

Musical References

What would be of artists without references? We are constantly influencing people and being influenced at the same time, and that is the beautiful part of building our identity in art. We can admire something or someone so much that we wish we could get to do the same great things someday, and the most important thing is that we have the freedom of choice, and it is that choice that will shape our artistic personality. 



FEMININE ROCK

Finding your own artistic personality can be hard and it depends on lots of factors. In my case, everything began with the Spanish singer Ainhoa, a girl who won a talent reality show against all odds, even against the leaders of the show and the organization. To summarize the story, she was given a very difficult song being expected to fail just before the grand final, but she nailed her live performance and got to win. Her epic performance and consequent victory had a great impact on my life. It made me believe that justice wins in the end and that things can change with effort. The thing is that she was into singers like Alanis Morissette or Anouk, and that’s how I started to become interested in female rock music. 


Thanks to her I got to know amazing singers and bands led by women such as Garbage, The Cranberries, Evanescence, Avril Lavigne, PJ Harvey, Juliette and the Licks, and Alanis Morissette or Anouk as I mentioned before.


¿Who said that women were the weak gender? I don’t think so. Women are more powerful than we believe and, especially in music, they have very strong power and sensitiveness to communicate feelings and emotions. I have always loved how a woman can transmit so much with her voice and how that voice can be sweet or angry depending on the moment. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why I have never been completely fond of my own voice.  

I will speak more concretely about all of my musical references as I go publishing each song, which is gonna be related to one of my favorite albums ever from my favorite artists.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...