Monday, March 13, 2017

Movie References

As I explained in my latest post, each song is gonna be related to an album, but I am also going to relate them to movies, cause we get inspiration from everywhere and cinema is one of my biggest passions.
The thesis of a movie (or what we refer to in Spanish as idea temática or controladora) is like the moral of a fairy tale and it's usually related to the purpose of the main character. At the end of the movie, we are supposed to learn something about what we have just watched, that sensation that’s left inside of us after we finish the movie when this one has really touched or inspired us… We charge lots of ideals and valuables with positive or negative backgrounds and then apply them to the characters and the whole universe of the movie. The most important thing about this is not that the characters or the background of the story are represented as banal ideation of good or evil (that’s always subjective), the most important thing is that these characters and their actions are coherent.

I believe, then, that if movies have a thesis, songs have them as well. Everything has a meaning as art creation and we’re always communicating ideas, so we are somehow giving a lecture, whether we like it or not. 

My purpose is to create diverse tribute videos of some movies with each song, relating the music and the lyrics of the songs with the thesis of these movies, in order to promote the songs with visual content.

CULT MOVIES

I’ve been the biggest fan of horror movies since I watched Scream when I was a child. That was the first step that led me to get to know a new genre that can’t be considered one in itself: the cult movie.



A cult movie is a film that gets recognition beyond the purpose of simply earning money and doing well at theaters. It is a movie that does not necessarily have to connect with everyone, but one that connects deeply with a certain group of people, creating a fanbase strong enough for that group to continue loving and worshipping the movie after a lot of years have passed by. That’s why it is difficult to determine what a cult movie is. Because, once again, it is something subjective. But it can be affirmed that they are usually different, with a unique story and visually attractive, belonging most of the time to the fantasy genre. To me, the clearest example of a cult movie is Donnie Darko and one of my favorites as well.

Here’s a list of the movies I’m going to use for the videos:


  • DONNIE DARKO
  • THE CROW
  • CUBE
  • BLACK SWAN
  • 500 DAYS OF SUMMER
  • HIGH TENSION (SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE)
  • SAW
  • FIGHT CLUB
  • RUN LOLA RUN
  • NEVER LET ME GO
  • AMERICAN BEAUTY
  • MAGNOLIA
  • TRUMAN SHOW

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...