Saturday, May 20, 2017

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Dover - Devil Came To Me)


The second album of the Spanish band Dover was very popular in the 90s, especially here in Spain where it became a massive success and made them emerge as one of the most relevant bands in the worldwide grunge/rock scene back then. After that, they started to work with Barrett Johnson (one of the producers of Nirvana) and recorded their two following albums with him. These two albums are my favorites, especially the album I Was Dead For 7 Weeks In The City of Angels, which I will speak about in more detail in a future post as an album recommendation too. But despite this personal preference and just like most people and the band themselves say, I would claim that Devil Came To Me is their best album. This record not only contains the most popular hit in their career (Serenade) but is also very conceptual and mixes perfectly the balance between their grungy style and their pop melodies. The lyrics are pretty pessimist and dark and, as I said before, connected to the whole concept of the album (Christian religion and the devil).
 Experiments with other music styles aside, like their dancy album, Follow The City Lights, which I don’t completely dislike but it made a really bad impression on some of their fans, I think that they are a great band and I love them both as musicians and songwriters. 

Favorite songs: Devil Came To Me, Serenade, Winter Song, Spectrum, Rain Of Times, Judas, and Sick Girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...