Friday, May 26, 2017

FICTION OF TRUTH

“Don't apologize for your ideals if there’s nothing supposed to hide”


SONGWRITING

The idea behind the melody of the verses was inspired by the song One more night of Maroon 5. I remember that the intro of the Maroon 5's song surprised me when I first listened to it because it was very abrupt and explosive and I wanted that for one of my songs too. I wanted one of my songs to be catchy and less alternative than the ones I'm used to writing. Based on that melody, I started to think about the lyrics that would accompany it, and the word Hollywood came to mind. Then, I had the idea of writing a song about capitalism and my personal beliefs against it; and as I was writing the lyrics, which were complicated to rhyme, I realized that my feelings about this mentioned capitalism were actually ambivalent. On one hand, I found it shallow and unfair for some people and, on the other hand, I was feeling hypocritical because, one way or another, I was taking advantage of it so, eventually, that dualism ended up being reflected on the lyrics. The first part of the song is a critique and the second one is a tribute. What I basically meant to reflect with it is that everything depends on how each one of us sees the world and how our unique and particular perspective can change everything. There are also references to fame, money, and Illuminati in the song, which was partly inspired by the great Lady Gaga, who I deeply admire. Her album Born this way and the song Hair helped me a lot when they were released, not only to find an escape from my inner demons back then but to encourage me to open my mouth to sing out loud without feeling ashamed. I’m very proud of this song as a songwriter and I think that represents quite effectively the chaotic spirit of the album.



PRODUCTION


We had some difficulties with this one, especially with the chords. My guitar teacher participated actively in choosing the chords and we made some changes that gave the composition more depth and complexity without losing the original spirit. There are some variations in the melody at the end of the song that was his idea and I really like them. On a production level, I like the guitar solo after the first chorus very much and I think the voice sounds pretty good in this one too, especially in the chorus. I'd say that this is one of my favorite songs on the album, both as a production and a composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...