Monday, May 22, 2017

LEVIATHAN

“When all the lectures sound the same, the snake keeps biting its own tail”


SONGWRITING

I heard about the Hobbes theory from a friend I met at the cinema school. We were coursing the same degree in scriptwriting after we had finished our cinema direction and production career, and we had to write a storyline for a project about a tv series idea of our own. Later, I found out that this concept is also referred to as a biblical monster and I started to visualize in my mind the idea of the song, which is about society and the code of silence, as a metaphor for the Leviathan in itself. I’m part of the group of people who believe that an individual doesn’t need society to be developed correctly and that society is the one corrupting people, though the song is more focused on the code of silence mentioned earlier. To me, this is related to those situations where you know that something wrong is happening but no one dares to speak up because of fear or because no one else around is willing to either.  Many of these situations happen in our everyday lives because people are afraid of being honest. It could be applied to a bullying conflict, for example, where people around witnessing the whole thing become confident of the bully. In my opinion, these people who are supposed to be neutral end up being the most dangerous ones because they choose to do nothing when they could make a difference. It’s like that famous Albert Einstein quote:

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything”



We are made of those implied silences and, in the end, it all comes down to these significant things not being said at the moment. In this shallow world, these things are more important than we imagine and this is what the lyrics of this song are about. I’m quite proud of them as a songwriter and I like the melody as well, although it is not one of my favorites among the other ones on the album. I think that, in this particular case, the message is more important than the music in itself.


PRODUCTION

Once again, the producer did a great job. The sound of the guitar arpeggio after the first chorus kinda reminds me of the System of a Down song Lonely Day. I love that song! I like the break after the second chorus as well, which came really fast during the songwriting process. There were little differences with the producer about some parts of the structure, which was supposed to be shorter in the beginning but I think the final result is pretty satisfactory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...