Monday, May 22, 2017

BLACK SWAN TRIBUTE

I watched this movie at the theatre when it came out and I remember that it felt like I knew it was going to become one of my favorites by some kind of design or fate. I could not really enjoy it back then, not because of the plot or the quality, but because of the circumstances, I was going through, which would not allow me to enjoy barely anything. Although I was more or less capable of understanding the movie, I could not empathize with the main character even having similar issues, but that’s what schizophrenia is: a constant contradiction in the way you perceive reality. 



This movie has clearly sufficient personality to be considered a cult film. I like how the metaphors of the main character's duality give the film a gothic style that I personally love. The aesthetic has been made with a lot of care and coherent with the script, which makes the whole schizophrenia story easy to understand for anyone without giving too many details away at first sight. Natalie Portman’s performance is amazing, no doubt she deserved the Oscar.



I originally used another song from the album for this tribute video but, after having meditated a little, I decided to change the song because the lyrics of the other one were more suitable for a different video and the song that I have finally used for Black Swan is more connected to the movie. This rocker style may be too heavy for the images but contrasts can be good sometimes. 



THESIS

I think I have a clear idea about how to determine the thesis of this movie because I can speak from my own experience. As I explained in the post about Schizophrenic Antichrist, schizophrenia has something to do with vulnerability and some people equate being vulnerable with being weak, so everyone tends to immunize their senses in order not to get hurt, but people who are extremely sensitive can’t help but be who they are so they end up repressing themselves. I think something similar happens to the main character of the movie: she’s very sensitive in contrast to the other characters, who are shown as rather careless people; and the relation of the main character with her mother denotes a lot of repressions as well. So I believe that these two factors are crucial in triggering Nina's descent into madness. She’s a victim of her own fear but her fear is also caused by the people around her who don’t give a shit about anything else than themselves. 

Thesis: Hypersensitive people who have been extremely repressed are more vulnerable to developing paranoid schizophrenia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...