Wednesday, July 12, 2017

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Maria Mena - Viktoria)


It was a really great surprise to get to know about this album back in 2011. I had heard her song Hold Me on the radio one day in the car with my father and we both agreed that the song was beautiful, so I searched for the song on the Internet and a few months later I saw on iTunes that she was going to release a new album called Viktoria. It was a time in my life when I would buy new and unknown music on iTunes so I decided to give a chance to this album without knowing what exactly I was going to listen to and, honestly, what I found was much better than what I expected. I love sad and melancholic music and I also like an album to be conceptual with music and words connected with the concept and idea, and this album has both things. Though not all of the songs are sad and that’s ok, the feeling predominating on the album is dramatic. Her voice gets very emotional and it can be sweet and powerful at the same time. On a songwriting level, the lyrics are very honest and I love that. I love songs that tell personal stories and the more personal art is the more I like it because it denotes no fear of going within as an artist. The songs are, on a musical production level, pretty naked and that’s also very interesting because they all work perfectly without lots of vocals and instruments, which is hard to achieve sometimes. I guess that what I like the most about the album is that it is very mature and it reminds me a little of the crudest Alanis Morissette songs of her album Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. If you like songs telling very personal stories from a pessimistic but realistic perspective, you’re gonna love this album!


Favorite songs: The Art Of Forgiveness, Habits, This Too Shall Pass, It Took Me By Surprise, Secrets, and Am I Supposed To Apologize?


No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...