Saturday, July 15, 2017

NEVER LET ME GO Tribute


I watched this movie as a recommendation of a friend while I was coursing my cinema studies in 2012. I really liked the movie and, especially, its atmosphere. I think that Never Let Me Go is a conventional movie since it tells us a story with the typical script turning points but the most characteristic aspect of the film is, as I said before, the melancholic aesthetic and cinematography that the film has. It’s more kind of a concept than a typical Hollywood movie, which is usually more focused on entertaining and being satisfactory for the spectator in contrast to European films, whose stories are more realistic and dramatic, without mentioning that there are always exceptions in both cases, of course.


Never Let Me Go transmits a strong feeling of powerlessness and numbness. You end the movie with a very specific melancholic emotional state. The characters are trapped because they don’t know any other way to be and they accept it. I connect a lot with this idea of characters who’d rather hurt themselves before hurting any other person because I am like that in real life. I don’t understand those people who are violent and stuck on their skins as if other people’s lives had no value. It’s easier for me to hurt myself though, in the end, no one can escape from having bad feelings or thoughts, no one’s free from being vulnerable and no one can love other people if they don’t love themselves. I guess that’s the main point of the movie. 



The aesthetic of the movie also reminds me a little of the first short film I wrote and directed during my first year at the cinema school before getting through the psychotic break. It’s shot with a Super8 camera and, though the shooting was one of the toughest experiences of my life, I’m pretty proud of the final result. Kind of a conceptual music video. Here’s the video:



I also like the result of this tribute video very much. I think that, in this case, both music and images fit perfectly. The song Catharsis is partly about feeling contained and wanting to explode without knowing how and I think that’s the way the characters of the movie feel. I also love how the lyrics truly speak for the characters and how the line “Wish I had a soul” has so much to do with one of the scenes of the movie. 


THESIS

As I explained before, this movie is very centered on its characters and their particular circumstances and peculiar personalities. They are so innocent that they can’t even allow themselves to feel anger or rage but, once again, they are still human beings, and, in the end, they have exactly the same needs that any other human being has. I think the movie is mainly about the loss of innocence and I would say that the whole point is reflected in the final scene and the inner monologue of the protagonist: what’s the difference between clinging to this life and letting go of it? What’s the difference between fighting or giving up? What’s the difference between good and evil whatever these two concepts mean or imply? In the end, everything comes down to this simple equation; in the end, "we all complete".




Thesis: IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHO YOU ARE OR WHO I AM BECAUSE, IN THE END, WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS, WE ARE ALL THE SAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...