Tuesday, July 25, 2017

MAD IN LOVE

"I should've known before that this was never my fault"


SONGWRITING
As with many of my songs, the original idea comes from the strong need of expressing my feelings of powerlessness about love or society and a melody running through my head. In this case, I was inspired by a song by Dover titled The Hitter, which starts directly with the first line of the lyrics being sung very rapidly, without an instrumental intro. This suggested to me a very overwhelming way of expressing rage, which was exactly what I needed to speak, once again, about a frustrating relationship. 



I was in love with a guy who told me, in a very cruel way, that I was sick when I confessed my feelings to him. He really made me feel like I was a terrible human being for being in love with him, so the message that I wanted to transmit with this song was that, even though I became obsessed and mad about that, it was self-evident that my only crime was falling in love or having feelings for him while he was being very cruel and disrespectful to me and he took advantage of that to hurt me.

The song went through diverse phases during the songwriting process. The word "play" from the bridge was very clear and the lyrics, in general, were always pretty clear but the melody, especially in the verses, suffered a lot of changes. In the beginning, the notes were in a higher key but when the producer sent me the instrumental he had made I had to change it in order to adapt it, so the notes of the verses ended up being sung in a lower key.

PRODUCTION


This was one of the songs that I wanted to record one more time with a higher key because the voice sounded too low but, after showing the song to my guitar teacher, who said that he liked the song with that key, I decided to leave it that way. And I think he was right because, according to the subject of the song and the fact that there are already other songs with higher keys, it’s fine that there is at least one song on the album that sounds different from the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...