Sunday, July 2, 2017

THE TRUMAN SHOW TRIBUTE

I wasn’t a really big fan of this movie when it came out because I was little and I could not really appreciate its message. My parents rented a copy from those old video stores that I used to love as a kid and we watched it together but it wasn’t until years later that I watched the movie again and became part of my favorites. In fact, the reason why I watched the movie again is a little twisted: during the highest paranoia state of my psychotic break, someone mentioned this movie and for some reason, it got stuck on my mind. One of the biggest paranoias I had was that I was being watched and observed by the whole world just like the main character of the movie, but not exactly for being celebrated or admired in a good way. I thought I was the protagonist of some extreme religious reality show that was trying to prove that being homosexual was wrong and, therefore, I had to be punished. I guess that the main cause for this absurd thought crossing my mind was the whole repression I experienced during my teenage years, which made me develop unconscious inner homophobia and hate for myself. It was a really tough and terrifying moment and thankfully I am recovering little by little and allowing myself to fully love the way I am without having to believe that I am the fucking antichrist or something.


But getting back to the movie, I would say that the script is what gives the film its greatness, probably one of the most original and risky scripts ever written. I also like the performance of Jim Carrey in this one, without being as overacted as usual. I personally like the love story between the main character and the girl, which remains as a secondary plot and should have got more presence, in my opinion, but yet it doesn't take the enchantment of such a fascinating movie away.



THESIS

To me, the thesis of this movie is very clear: it’s about the shallowness of the fast-consuming culture nowadays, where we receive a lot of stimulation from anywhere (TV, advertisements, social networks) and we easily forget about it as soon as the new tendency tells us to do. The final sketch, which reminds me of the final scene of the movie Money Monster, denotes this message about how useless and forgettable things turn out to be at the end when it comes to the content we get to see on television. 

Thesis: Reality can be stranger than fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...