Sunday, July 23, 2017

CUBE TRIBUTE



I got to know about this movie when I was 15 years old thanks to a website about horror films. It was very well rated and the critic said that it was a must for any horror movie lover. Back then, I used to buy horror movies on the Internet without not even having watched them first, guided only by this horror movies website, so when I saw that Cube was available to buy I decided to give it a chance and it definitely was a worth spent money.



Cube has become one of my favorite movies ever and a big reference for me in the horror genre. It clearly deserves its cult movie label, due to various factors, such as the directing or the performances, but the most remarkable aspect of the movie is, with no doubt, the script: the structure, the characters, and, especially, the dialogues are simply excellent! I would even say that those dialogues are essential for the movie, which would probably get boring without them because it’s very hard to maintain such suspense with only one space where everything takes place and if you don’t have a strong story with strong characters, things are likely to break down in the end. And what to say about the ending of the movie? Perfect! I understand why some people may not like it but it makes a lot of sense to me and gives the whole movie its coherence and point.



THESIS

Questions. We are made of questions. It always begs a question that will inevitably lead you to one another. 



In this case, I think the thesis of the movie is very clear. Once again, it’s reinforced by the ending not revealing the truth to the spectator. We don’t really need to know who or what has caged these people and we don’t need to know the reason why either, because the most important thing is not the ending or the final result, but what happens in between and how the characters deal with it and solve it. It’s a very strong metaphor for the mystery of God and life in itself.


THESIS: Human beings, who are curious by nature and constantly searching for the truth, get lost along the way becoming right the opposite thing they are longing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ALBUM RECOMMENDATION (Digital Daggers – Close your eyes)

I found out about this band thanks to a youtube recommendation of their lyric video for the song The Devil Within and I liked it straight a...